Flushing Meadows–Corona Park Warning: You are not logged in. Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits. If you log in or create an account, your edits will be attributed to your username, along with other benefits.Anti-spam check. Do not fill this in! ===Park planning and World's Fairs=== ====1939/1940 Fair and aftermath==== {{main|1939 New York World's Fair}} [[File:USA, New York Fortepan 16945.jpg|thumb|The [[1939 New York World's Fair]]|alt=see caption]] New York City Parks Commissioner [[Robert Moses]] first conceived the idea of developing a large park in Flushing Meadow in the 1920s.{{sfn|Caro|1974|p=1083}} At the time, he envisioned the site to become a "true '[[Central Park]]'", especially with much of city population moving to Queens and Long Island due to [[urban sprawl]]. Moses also planned Flushing Meadows to be the westernmost of a chain of parks running across Queens, which would include [[Kissena Park]], [[Cunningham Park]], [[Alley Pond Park]], and [[Douglaston Park]].<ref>{{harvnb|30 Years of Progress: 1934–1965|p=56}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|PANYNJ Airport Transit Environmental Impact Statement|1994|p=1⋅11}}</ref><ref name="NYTimes-FMCP-Jun1967"/> In 1929, representatives from surrounding communities created a plan to turn the ash dump into a recreational complex, and presented them to Queens Borough President [[George U. Harvey]].<ref>{{cite news |title= Harvey Asked to Make Park Out Of Dump: Community Councils Suggest Development of Wasteland |url= http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/highlight-for-xml?altUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FJamaica%2520NY%2520Long%2520Island%2520Daily%2520Press%2FJamaica%2520NY%2520Long%2520Island%2520Daily%2520Press%25201929%2FJamaica%2520NY%2520Long%2520Island%2520Daily%2520Press%25201929%2520-%25204247.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FJamaica%2520NY%2520Long%2520Island%2520Daily%2520Press%2FJamaica%2520NY%2520Long%2520Island%2520Daily%2520Press%25201929%2FJamaica%2520NY%2520Long%2520Island%2520Daily%2520Press%25201929%2520-%25204247.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live|access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= Long Island Daily Press |via= [[Old Fulton New York Postcards]] |date= September 11, 1929 }}</ref> In 1930, Moses released plans for numerous parks and highways in the city. This included the [[Grand Central Parkway]], the construction of which would require taking land from the ash dumps. One of the provisional projects listed was a "Flushing River Park", along with a "Flushing River Parkway".{{sfn|Steinberg|2015|p=213}}<ref name="NYTimes-NewCityPks-Moses-Feb1930">{{cite web |title=ASKS NEW CITY PARKS TO COST $20,000,000; Metropolitan Conference Urges Prompt Purchases, Chiefly in Queens and Richmond. BERRY GETS HONOR SCROLL Calls for a 'Normal' Pace in Public Projects and Predicts Agency to Coordinate Them |url=https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D06E3DF1E39E43ABC4E51DFB466838B629EDE |work=[[The New York Times]] |access-date=November 19, 2015 |date=February 26, 1930 |archive-date=November 22, 2015 |archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20151122074425/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D06E3DF1E39E43ABC4E51DFB466838B629EDE |url-status=live }}</ref> The Brooklyn Ash Removal Company's contract with the city expired in 1933,<ref>{{cite news|url= https://www.nytimes.com/1933/12/30/archives/city-ash-removal-halted-by-court-brooklyn-company-gets-stay-to.html|title= City Ash Removal Halted by Court; Brooklyn Company Gets Stay to Prevent Municipality Operating Its Plants|date= December 30, 1933|work= [[The New York Times]]|access-date= March 27, 2017|archive-date= July 25, 2018|archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20180725214405/https://www.nytimes.com/1933/12/30/archives/city-ash-removal-halted-by-court-brooklyn-company-gets-stay-to.html|url-status= live}}</ref><ref>{{cite news|url= https://www.nytimes.com/1934/01/09/archives/city-now-removing-ashes-in-brooklyn-companys-agreement-to-drop-suit.html|title= CITY NOW REMOVING ASHES IN BROOKLYN; Company's Agreement to Drop Suit Speeds Municipal Operation of Three Plants|date= January 9, 1934|work= [[The New York Times]]|access-date= March 27, 2017|archive-date= July 25, 2018|archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20180725215324/https://www.nytimes.com/1934/01/09/archives/city-now-removing-ashes-in-brooklyn-companys-agreement-to-drop-suit.html|url-status= live}}</ref> and the city took over the company's assets and operations on May 25, 1934.<ref>{{cite web |url=https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/flushing-meadows-corona-park/highlights/12246 |title=Flushing Meadows Corona Park: Lawrence Playground |publisher=[[New York City Department of Parks and Recreation]] |access-date=March 30, 2017 |archive-date=March 30, 2017 |archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20170330175627/https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/flushing-meadows-corona-park/highlights/12246 |url-status=live }}</ref><ref>{{cite news |last1= Soper |first1= George R. |title= DISPOSAL OF WASTE AN URGENT PROBLEM; Supreme Court Order Against Dumping at Sea Points the Need for Incinerators READY FOR DUMPING |url= https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E00E0DA133EE53ABC4052DFB566838F629EDE&legacy=true |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= [[The New York Times]] |date= March 18, 1934 |archive-date= March 28, 2017 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20170328105556/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E00E0DA133EE53ABC4052DFB566838F629EDE&legacy=true |url-status= live }}</ref><ref>{{cite news |title= ASH COMPANY VALUE UNDER CITY INQUIRY; Proposed Purchase of Brooklyn Concern Brings Charge of $1,000,000 'Hijacking' Plan |url= https://www.nytimes.com/1934/02/10/archives/ash-company-value-under-city-inquiry-proposed-purchase-of-brooklyn.html |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= [[The New York Times]] |date= February 10, 1934 |archive-date= July 25, 2018 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20180725215634/https://www.nytimes.com/1934/02/10/archives/ash-company-value-under-city-inquiry-proposed-purchase-of-brooklyn.html |url-status= live }}</ref> The Brooklyn Ash property occupied around {{convert|300|acre|ha}} of the {{convert|1,000|acre|ha|adj=on}} site, north of what is now the Long Island Expressway.<ref>{{harvnb|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|p=7}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Steinberg|2015|p=213}}</ref> The remainder of the meadows still contained natural wildlife. It was frequented by fur trappers, local residents collecting firewood and growing vegetables, and later, squatters during the [[Great Depression in the United States|Great Depression]].{{sfn|Steinberg|2015|p=217}} Areas of the dumps were also used for growing vegetables, with the soil fertilized by the garbage and manure.{{sfn|Phase 1A Report|1985|p=22}} In 1935, the site, now planned as "Flushing Meadow Park", was selected for what would become the 1939 World's Fair.<ref name="GreatWorlFair">{{cite news |title=Great World Fair for City in 1939 on Site In Queens;...City to Lend New Park |newspaper=The New York Times |date=September 23, 1935 |access-date=January 29, 2012 |url=https://www.nytimes.com/1935/09/23/archives/great-world-fair-for-city-in-1939-on-site-in-queens-cost-to-be.html |archive-date=April 7, 2021 |archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20210407073005/https://www.nytimes.com/1935/09/23/archives/great-world-fair-for-city-in-1939-on-site-in-queens-cost-to-be.html |url-status=live }}</ref> In addition to the ash dumps and undeveloped meadows, houses in Corona east of 111th Street, adjacent to the dumps, were condemned and added to the site, displacing residents.<ref>{{harvnb|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|p=8}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Steinberg|2015|p=218}}</ref><ref name="Kadinsky2016" /> The plans were drafted by Parks Department landscape architect [[Gilmore David Clarke]] and his partner Michael Rapuano, designed in [[Beaux-Arts architecture|Beaux-Arts]] style.{{sfn|Unisphere|1995|p=1}}<ref name="NYCPk-FMCP-Unisphere">{{cite web|title=Flushing Meadows Corona Park: Unisphere|url=https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/flushing-meadows-corona-park/highlights/12761|publisher=[[New York City Department of Parks and Recreation]]|access-date=April 3, 2017|archive-date=December 1, 2021|archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20211201230918/https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/flushing-meadows-corona-park/highlights/12761|url-status=live}}</ref> Work on the World's Fair site began on June 16, 1936.<ref name="NYTimes-WF-Jun1936">{{cite news |title= Work at Fair Site Begins Without Ceremony; 700 Job-Seekers on Hand, 500 to Be Hired |url= https://www.nytimes.com/1936/06/16/archives/work-at-fair-site-begins-without-ceremony-700-jobseekers-on-hand.html |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= [[The New York Times]] |date= June 16, 1936 |archive-date= November 23, 2017 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20171123121416/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9B07E7DC113FEE3BBC4E52DFB066838D629EDE&legacy=true |url-status= live }}</ref> The project primarily involved leveling the ash mounds, with the leftover material used to fill other areas of the meadow. Two sites were excavated to create Meadow and Willow Lake, while much of the Flushing River was diverted into underground [[culverts]]. A [[floodgate]] was built to prevent [[tide|tidal flow]] from flooding the lakes.<ref>{{harvnb|Caro|1974|p=1085}}; {{harvnb|NYC Parks Tomorrow's World|2015|p=5}}; {{harvnb|Steinberg|2015|p=213}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Strategic Framework Plan|pp=37, 52}}</ref><ref name="IFLA-FlushingTheMeadows">{{cite web |last1=Siegel |first1=Sarah |title= Flushing the Meadows – relaxing a post-World's Fair urban landscape |url= http://iflaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IFLA_2006_Winners.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http://iflaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IFLA_2006_Winners.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live |publisher= [[International Federation of Landscape Architects]] |access-date= March 31, 2017 |date=2006 |page=3}}</ref> In addition to recreation, the lakes would serve as repositories for excess storm runoff.{{sfn|Mankiewicz|Mankiewicz|2002|p=9}} The dirt from the lake sites was used as additional topsoil for the park.<ref name="NYTimes-QnsPkRising-1936">{{cite news |title= VAST QUEENS PARK RISING ON FAIR SITE |url= https://www.nytimes.com/1936/12/06/archives/vast-queens-park-rising-on-fair-site-moses-says-improvements-in-are.html |access-date= April 4, 2017 |work= [[The New York Times]] |date= December 6, 1936 |archive-date= April 7, 2021 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20210407073023/https://www.nytimes.com/1936/12/06/archives/vast-queens-park-rising-on-fair-site-moses-says-improvements-in-are.html |url-status= live }}</ref> The project was an around-the-clock job, with 450 workers operating on three daily shifts.{{sfn|NYC Parks Tomorrow's World |2015|p=7}}<ref name="NYTimes-WF-Jun1936" /><ref>{{cite news |title= 'Cut and Fill' Grading of World's Fair Site Reported More than One-Third Complete |url= https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D0CE6D7143DE33BBC4952DFB667838D629EDE&legacy=true |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= [[The New York Times]] |date= October 11, 1936 |archive-date= March 28, 2017 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20170328105823/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D0CE6D7143DE33BBC4952DFB667838D629EDE&legacy=true |url-status= live }}</ref><ref>{{cite news |title= Task of Filling World's Fair Site Will Be Pushed Night and Day; Moving of 7,000,000 Cubic Yards of Ashes and Soil Will Be in Full Swing Next Week – Two Lakes to Be Dug as Part of Work to Last till Next March |url= https://www.nytimes.com/1936/07/08/archives/task-of-filling-worlds-fair-site-will-be-pushed-night-and-day.html |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= [[The New York Times]] |date= July 8, 1936 |archive-date= July 25, 2018 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20180725215424/https://www.nytimes.com/1936/07/08/archives/task-of-filling-worlds-fair-site-will-be-pushed-night-and-day.html |url-status= live }}</ref> Workers had to combat the effects of high tide, and dust storms created by the ash. The work significantly changed the topography of the meadows, differing from that created by glaciation. Thousands of trees were transplanted to the fair site in order to create a natural landscape. Meanwhile, thousands of {{convert|100|ft|m|adj=on}} [[Douglas fir]] timbers were driven into the ground to act as [[pilings]] for the foundations of the fair structures.{{sfn|Steinberg|2015|p=219}} The pedestrian plan called for numerous wide tree-lined pathways, including a central "Cascade Mall" leading to the [[Trylon and Perisphere]], many of which would be retained for the park.<ref name="NYTimes-QnsPkRising-1936" /> Faced with having to dispose of the mountains of ashes, Moses incorporated a significant portion of the refuse into the bases of several roadways that bordered or bisected the park.<ref name=30YrsP8-SteinbergP214/> This included the [[Van Wyck Expressway]] ([[Interstate 678]]) running along the eastern side of the park, the nearby Interboro Parkway (now [[Jackie Robinson Parkway]]), and the [[Long Island Expressway]] ([[Interstate 495 (New York)|Interstate 495]]) that divides the park into north and south halves. The [[Grand Central Parkway]] separates a western lobe from the main part of the northern half, while the east-west Jewel Avenue bisects the southern half.<ref name=30YrsP64-HPSP126-SFPP14/> The success of the Flushing Meadows site as a garbage dump-turned-park led Moses and the city to develop other wetlands in the city into parks via short-term refuse landfilling. This process was used to create [[Marine Park (Brooklyn park)|Marine Park]] and [[Spring Creek Park]] in Brooklyn, and [[Ferry Point Park]] in the Bronx. This was also the original plan for the [[Fresh Kills Landfill|Fresh Kills]] and [[Edgemere Landfill|Edgemere]] landfills, which remained open past their expected tenure and became large and long-term municipal waste sites.<ref name=30YrsP8-SteinbergP214>{{harvnb|30 Years of Progress: 1934–1965|p=8}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Steinberg|2015|p=214}}</ref><ref name="LIStar-SpCrkPk-Landfill-Jan1962">{{cite news |last1=Sullivan |first1= Michael |title= Garbage Dump Today, Park Tomorrow |url= http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/viewer/?file=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201962%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201962%2520-%25200097.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201962%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201962%2520-%25200097.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live |access-date= January 7, 2017 |work=Long Island Star-Journal |via= [[Old Fulton New York Postcards]] |date= January 4, 1962}}</ref> The Fresh Kills site is currently being developed into [[Freshkills Park]].{{sfn|Steinberg|2015|p=321}} {{multiple image | align = left | direction = horizontal | width = | background color = | image1 = 30 years of progress, 1934-1964 - Department of Parks - 300th anniversary of the City of New York - New York World's Fair. (1964) (16639606536).jpg | width1 = 170 | caption1 = | image2 = 30 years of progress, 1934-1964 - Department of Parks - 300th anniversary of the City of New York - New York World's Fair. (1964) (16458228567).jpg | width2 = 130 | caption2 = | footer_align = left | footer = Aerial views of the fair grounds during the 1964 World's Fair. }} In November 1939, a [[water main]] running through Flushing Meadows Park to supply water to Flushing failed. Unlike the fair buildings, the pipeline was not built on piling foundations and eventually sank into the marsh and landfill. In January 1940, Borough President Harvey demanded an investigation into the main's construction take place, while the Board of Estimate allocated $50,200 for repairs.<ref>{{cite news |title=Harvey Demands Probe of Sinking Fair Site Main; Water Pipe Laid in Mud, He Declares; Board Approves $50,200 Fund For Needed Repairs |url=http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/highlight-for-xml?altUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201940%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201940%2520-%25200260.pdf%23xml%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FdtSearch%2Fdtisapi6.dll%3Fcmd%3Dgetpdfhits%26u%3D7a944da0%26DocId%3D4290782%26Index%3DZ%253a%255cIndex%2520U%252dF%252dP%26HitCount%3D2%26hits%3D103%2B5f0%2B%26SearchForm%3D%252fFulton%255fform%252ehtml%26.pdf&uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201940%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201940%2520-%25200260.pdf&xml=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FdtSearch%2Fdtisapi6.dll%3Fcmd%3Dgetpdfhits%26u%3D7a944da0%26DocId%3D4290782%26Index%3DZ%253a%255cIndex%2520U%252dF%252dP%26HitCount%3D2%26hits%3D103%2B5f0%2B%26SearchForm%3D%252fFulton%255fform%252ehtml%26.pdf&openFirstHlPage=false |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FdtSearch%2Fdtisapi6.dll%3Fcmd%3Dgetpdfhits%26u%3D7a944da0%26DocId%3D4290782%26Index%3DZ%253a%255cIndex%2520U%252dF%252dP%26HitCount%3D2%26hits%3D103%2B5f0%2B%26SearchForm%3D%252fFulton%255fform%252ehtml%26.pdf&openFirstHlPage=false |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live |access-date=August 8, 2018 |work=Long Island Star-Journal |via=[[Old Fulton New York Postcards]] |date=January 19, 1940 |page=9}}</ref> Following the closure of the Fair in 1940, the site was supposed to be cleared in order to develop and open Flushing Meadows as a city park. The onset of [[World War II]], however, delayed the project.<ref>{{cite news |title= Ready to Turn Fair Into Park; Moses Tells Mayor His Plans Are Set |url= http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/highlight-for-xml?altUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252018%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Sun%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Sun%25201940%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Sun%25201940%2520a%2520-%25204231.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252018%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Sun%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Sun%25201940%2FNew%2520York%2520NY%2520Sun%25201940%2520a%2520-%25204231.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= [[The Sun (New York)]] |via=[[Old Fulton New York Postcards]] |date= August 15, 1940 |page=14}}</ref><ref>{{cite news |title= Flushing Meadow |url= http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/highlight-for-xml?altUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201949%2FLong%2520Island%2520%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201949%2520-%25204917.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201949%2FLong%2520Island%2520%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201949%2520-%25204917.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= Long Island Star-Journal |via= [[Old Fulton New York Postcards]] |date= July 13, 1949 |page=4 }}</ref> The profits from the World's Fair were supposed to pay for the development of the park, but in spite of its success the fair turned a financial loss.{{sfn|Unisphere|1995|p=3}} Only two permanent attractions were opened in 1941: an ice skating rink and roller rink<ref>{{cite news |title= Moses Seeks $134,073 For Meadow Park Pay|url=http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/highlight-for-xml?altUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201941%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201941%2520-%25200695.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper%252014%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201941%2FLong%2520Island%2520City%2520NY%2520Star%2520Journal%25201941%2520-%25200695.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live|access-date=April 26, 2017|work=Long Island Star-Journal|via=[[Old Fulton New York Postcards]]|date=February 15, 1941}}</ref><ref name="NYTimes-ParkRising-1941">{{cite news |last1= Markland |first1= John |title= Park Rising on Fair Site: New Skating Rinks Are First Development in a Vast Project |url= https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D0CE3DB113AE33BBC4153DFB466838A659EDE&legacy=true |access-date= April 26, 2017 |work= The New York Times |date= February 9, 1941 |archive-date= April 27, 2017 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20170427003959/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D0CE3DB113AE33BBC4153DFB466838A659EDE&legacy=true |url-status= live }}</ref> in the [[Queens Museum|New York City Building]],<ref name="QnsMuseum"/> and a public pool located in the [[New York State Marine Amphitheatre]] (now demolished).<ref>{{cite news |title= Pool to be Opened on Aquacade Site |url= https://www.nytimes.com/1941/07/14/archives/pool-to-be-opened-on-aquacade-site-state-amphitheatre-also-will.html |access-date= April 26, 2017 |work= The New York Times |date= July 14, 1941 |archive-date= July 25, 2018 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20180725215017/https://www.nytimes.com/1941/07/14/archives/pool-to-be-opened-on-aquacade-site-state-amphitheatre-also-will.html |url-status= live }}</ref> The latter utilized the pool used for ''[[Billy Rose's Aquacade]]'' during the fair.<ref>{{harvnb|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|p=13}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|NYC Parks Tomorrow's World|2015|p=29}}</ref> In the meantime, some of the buildings from the 1939 Fair were used for the first temporary headquarters of the [[United Nations]] beginning in 1946. The former New York City Building was used for the UN General Assembly during this time.<ref>{{harvnb|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|pp=14–15}}; {{harvnb|Strategic Framework Plan|p=53}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|PANYNJ Airport Transit Environmental Impact Statement|1994|p=1⋅11}}</ref><ref name="NYTImes-Moses-Fair-Ap1966">{{cite news |title= FOUL LOT to FAIR: A SAGA by MOSES |url= https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E0CEED81F30EF34BC4952DFB266838D679EDE&legacy=true |access-date= March 27, 2017 |work= The New York Times |date= April 11, 1966 |archive-date= November 22, 2017 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20171122062437/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E0CEED81F30EF34BC4952DFB266838D679EDE&legacy=true |url-status= live }}</ref><ref name="QnsMuseum">{{cite web |url= http://www.queensmuseum.org/building-history |title= Building History |publisher= Queens Museum |access-date= June 20, 2015 |archive-date= April 26, 2015 |archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20150426055704/http://www.queensmuseum.org/building-history |url-status= dead }}</ref> Moses attempted to sell Flushing Meadows as a permanent headquarters for the UN, which would have required new structures and a complete redesign of the fair ground layout. The proposal was rejected however, due to concerns over the strength of the former marshland for building construction, the lack of "scenic beauty" in the meadows, and the distance from Manhattan. The UN moved to their [[United Nations headquarters|now-permanent headquarters]] in 1951.<ref>{{harvnb|Caro|1974|p=1085}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|p=21}}; {{cite book |last=Mires |first=Charlene |title= Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations |url= https://books.google.com/books?id=BDAVCgAAQBAJ&pg=PP3 |access-date= April 26, 2017 |date= April 8, 2015 |publisher= [[New York University Press]] |isbn= 978-1-4798-3375-7 |pages= 196, 199}}</ref> The New York City building was later refurbished for the 1964/1965 Fair as the New York City Pavilion, featuring the Panorama of the City of New York, an enormous scale model of the entire city.{{sfn|Historic Preservation Studio |2015|p=24}}<ref name="QnsMuseum"/><ref>[http://www.queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/visitpanorama The Panorama of the City of New York] {{webarchive|url=https://web.archive.org/web/20130312124553/http://www.queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/visitpanorama |date=March 12, 2013 }}. Queens Museum of Art. Retrieved May 16, 2012.</ref> It is one of two buildings that survive from the 1939/40 Fair, and the only one that remains in its original location.{{sfn|Strategic Framework Plan|p=53}} (The other is the [[Belgian Building|Belgium exhibition building]], disassembled and moved to the campus of [[Virginia Union University]] in 1941.{{sfn|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|p=18}}) It is now the home of the [[Queens Museum of Art]], which still houses, and occasionally updates, the Panorama.<ref name="QnsMuseum"/> The remainder of the park, meanwhile, had fallen into disrepair, with wild animals moving back into the area.<ref name="NYTImes-Moses-Fair-Ap1966"/> Only minor upgrades to the park occurred during this time.{{sfn|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|pp=18–19}} ====1964/1965 Fair==== {{Main|1964 New York World's Fair}} [[File:New York World's Fair August 1964.jpeg|thumb|The [[Unisphere]] at the [[1964 New York World's Fair|1964/1965 World's Fair]]|alt=see caption]] The Flushing Meadows site was selected in 1959 for the 1964 World's Fair.{{sfn|PANYNJ Airport Transit Environmental Impact Statement |1994|p=1⋅11}} Gilmore D. Clarke and Michael Rapuano were retained to tailor the original 1939 park layout for the new fair.<ref>{{harvnb|Historic Preservation Studio|2015|p=16}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Unisphere|1995|p=3}}</ref> Three structures were retained from the 1939 Fair. Meanwhile, several new structures and attractions were created including the [[Unisphere]], [[Shea Stadium]], the [[New York Hall of Science]], and [[Queens Botanical Garden]]; the latter three were intended as permanent attractions for the future park.<ref>{{harvnb|30 Years of Progress: 1934–1965|p=57}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Strategic Framework Plan|p=53}}</ref> The Unisphere, built as the theme symbol for the 1964/1965 World's Fair, has since become the main sculptural feature of the park.<ref>{{harvnb|Strategic Framework Plan|p=54}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Unisphere|1995|p=1}}</ref> It stands on the site occupied by the [[Trylon and Perisphere|Perisphere]] during the earlier Fair.{{sfn|Unisphere|1995|pp=1, 3}} The Van Wyck Expressway was extended north through the park site along the right-of-way of the former [[World's Fair Railroad]].{{sfn|Mankiewicz|Mankiewicz|2002|p=35}} Moses and the Parks Department also prepared post-fair plans to finish Flushing Meadows Park, as well as Kissena Corridor Park and Kissena Park, projected to be complete by 1967.<ref>{{harvnb|30 Years of Progress: 1934–1965|p=57}}; {{cite book |last=Moses |first= Robert |author-link= Robert Moses |title= Flushing Meadow and Beyond; Post World's Fair Program; Progress Report |date=July 14, 1964 |publisher= [[1964 New York World's Fair|New York World's Fair 1964–1965 Corporation]] |url=http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/fair-corp/post-fair-progress-7-14-64.pdf |archive-url=https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20221009/http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/fair-corp/post-fair-progress-7-14-64.pdf |archive-date=October 9, 2022 |url-status=live |access-date= March 31, 2017 |page=11}}</ref> In early 1964, the New York City Council added "[[Corona, Queens|Corona]]" to the park's name; the park was now named "Flushing Meadows–Corona Park", in preparation for that year's World's Fair. Councilman [[Edward L. Sadowsky|Edward Sadowsky]] explained that this was intended to correct an injustice: "The people of Corona have long lived in the aroma of a junkyard or a dump named for their community. Now, when there is something beautiful to be seen, there is no mention of the name Corona."<ref name=":0">{{cite news|url= https://www.nytimes.com/1964/02/05/bill-adds-corona-to-fair-sites-name.html|title= Bill Adds 'Corona' to Fair Site's Name|date= February 5, 1964|newspaper= The New York Times|access-date= January 29, 2012|archive-date= November 13, 2017|archive-url= https://web.archive.org/web/20171113113505/http://www.nytimes.com/1964/02/05/bill-adds-corona-to-fair-sites-name.html|url-status= live}}</ref> Following the fair, most of the remaining $11.6 million from the fair funds, as well as money from Moses' [[Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority]], were used to rehabilitate the site into a true park.<ref>{{harvnb|Caro|1974|p=1085}}; {{harvnb|PANYNJ Airport Transit Environmental Impact Statement|1994|p=1⋅11}}; {{harvnb|ps=.|Unisphere|1995|p=4}}</ref> Flushing Meadows–Corona Park was transferred from the World's Fair Corporation back to the Parks Department, and opened on June 3, 1967.<ref name="NYTimes-FMCP-Jun1967">{{cite news|last1=Schumach|first1=Murray|title=MOSES GIVES CITY FAIR SITE AS PARK; Flushing Meadows in Queens Becomes the 2d Biggest Recreation Area Here|url=https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F03E5D6123AE63ABC4C53DFB066838C679EDE&legacy=true|access-date=March 28, 2017|work=[[The New York Times]]|date=June 4, 1967|archive-date=November 22, 2017|archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20171122062009/http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F03E5D6123AE63ABC4C53DFB066838C679EDE&legacy=true|url-status=live}}</ref> Summary: Please note that all contributions to Christianpedia may be edited, altered, or removed by other contributors. If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly, then do not submit it here. You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource (see Christianpedia:Copyrights for details). Do not submit copyrighted work without permission! Cancel Editing help (opens in new window) Discuss this page